The first inhabitants of Jeremysquam of whom we have any definite knowledge were the Indians. This entire section of Maine was held under Chief Mentaurmet, the father of Robinhood. These
These Indians were of Algonquin stock and belonged to the Abnaki tribe. Evidences of early Indians life are not as plentiful on this island as on other nearby islands and the mainland.
No remains of large shell heaps as at Sawyer's Island nor large cavities of pits used for cooking as at Robinhood's Cove on Georgetown nor graves as were opened on Swett's Island, now Isle of Springs, have been found. Years ago arrowheads and small tools and utensils were picked up; but as the Indians used these lands chiefly for hunting and fishing grounds and had their permanent camps inland, we would not expect to find many Indian relics. However, Clam Shell Point and Clam Shell Cove are named in an old deed referring to land near Fowles' Point and evidences of shell heaps there as well as along the south shore still survive.
One Indian story that has been handed down in the Dunton family was that the old grandmother was told to "hide the children in the chimney, the Indians are coming."
We don't know, however, about the terrible Indian massacre and destruction of lumber yards and houses on Arrowsic and Georgetown in 1676, so there may have been Indian depredation on this island, too.
In later years, friendly Indian from Old Town came down every summer to camp on the island know as "Indian Island" at the mouth of Squam Creek where they gathered sweet grass to use in their baskets. And in the 1890's there was at the north end a dance hall operated by Everett Cromwell that they called "Camp Molly" after a famous Penobscot Indian woman, "Molly Molasses" but she never lived here as far as we can determine.
One of the earliest stories about Westport had to do with Doggett's Castle. This high bluff on the Sheepscot River side of the island, under which Capt. Samuel Doggett anchored his vessel "The Dolphin" as early as 1715 to trade with the Indians. Since their only approach was by water, he called this area his "castle".