In the 1800's the shipping of ice from Maine to southern ports became a big industry. There were two large ice ponds developed on the island; one at the north end owned by the Knickerbocker Ice Co. that flooded an area just east of the main road near Doggett's Road and the other at the south end on Jewett's Cove. A stone dam was built to hold back the water, making a pond that covered the road. The ice was stored in a huge icehouse until warmer weather to be carried off on sailing vessels from the end of a long wharf.
Ice wharf at Jewett Cove in early 1900's. Ice was cut out at local ponds and carried to South and West Indies